Saturday, October 29, 2011

What do you want to be when you grow up?

I remember getting asked this numerous times growing up.  I remember thinking "I'm only TEN for crying out loud - how do I know??"

I'm not ten anymore, but at least i know the answer to that question finally.

I hate to tell you - it just came to me last week.  At age, well, not ten.


Old enough that i should be thinking about putting more away for retirement than what career I want, I'll tell you that.

I guess I'm a late bloomer of sorts.

My own ten year old son actually gets credit for my "AHA!" moment, bless his heart.  Someone asked him this same question and he was telling me the story the other night when I was tucking him into bed. 

I said to him, "Well, what did you say?"  Very intrigued by what might come out of his mouth next.  And he said "Famous". 

I started laughing and I said, "I think they meant what job do you want to do when you get big".

He said, in all seriousness, "Well, that's not what they asked".  Duly noted.


He turned the question on me, asking me if I was doing what i wanted to do.  He asked me if I liked it.  I had to think about how to answer this.

I do like it.  Enough.  I feel fortunate to even have a job when so many are out of work.  So that's what i said to him.  But, he was like a dog with a bone, this one.  "But is it what you want to do?".

Life's questions never get easier no matter what age you are.

"Uhm, no, I guess.  I really don't know what I want to do."

He looked at me and said "I know what you want to do."  I laughed.  "You do?"

"Yeah, you want to cook. and fish."

"Cook??!?  Why would you say that?" 

"Because mom, you always say you love packing a lunch and getting out on the water."

Yes.  I guess I do say that.  Apparently, I say it a lot.

So, maybe you'll see me one day packing box lunches at a small marina for boaters as they head out for a day on the water. 

I can think of worse things.

1 comment:

  1. I love it and I hope you bake some of those cupcakes to go with your lunches!

    ReplyDelete