Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Goin to the chapel....and that wasn't the plan.


The plan was to elope.  We had grandiose ideas of a not so grand escape.  Just me and him. Hopping on a plane to NYC.  Had already contacted a chaplain.  Had a plan. Reserved the vacation time.

Then my mom started to cry.  

                                    photo from The Knot.

And the boys said they wanted to see us get married. And Sarah, V's daughter wanted to document with pictures (wish i had just a smidge of her talent).  So, i bought a dress.  A REAL wedding dress.  One that almost made me want to cry when i had to take it off. THAT perfect.  Did i tell you I got it for almost 75% off? I did. Bridal salon closed their doors and i happened to be there on the day they tagged the dresses.  Fate i guess.

 My mother is happiest when she's planning a party. So i handed it off to her. The only thing i asked is that it was just immediate family.  I think she sighed. My mother does not do anything small.  I don't think she knows what that word means.  But she gave in.  

So, we're getting married in October in a small white church in the Blue Ridge Parkway.  My mother has already reserved a caterer. For 20 people. TWENTY PEOPLE. A caterer.  That's so funny to me. In lieu of a honeymoon, we will postpone that and instead spend time with those we wish we could see more.  So we're going to do fall festivals, pumpkin carving, hit up a winery or two and head to the orchard and pick some apples.  I think I hear some apple crisp calling my name.  :)

3 comments:

  1. Hi Sheri! Thanks for stopping in at Heaven's Walk and leaving your fun comment! :) Yup, we make our own wine. Well, actually it's hubby's little hobby, but I'm in charge of freezing/juicing. lol! Congrats on your wedding plans and set date, girl! It really sounds like you're going to have a beautifully memorable time! .....and mom's always know best, don't they? :) Can hardly wait to hear more about your special day!

    xoxo laurie@heavens-walk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, it sounds perfect to me! Can't wait to see all the details - a wedding! Too fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds like it will be the loveliest of weddings, Sheri! So happy you found a wonderful dress at a wonderful price. Meant to be, huh? And that cake! Wow! Love the ideas for apple picking and all the rest, celebrating your love with those who love you. Sheer perfection.

    ReplyDelete